Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gingerbread scones

I'm gearing up for gingerbread people at the end of the week, which will be my Christmas gifts this year (decorated to look like the recipient). In the meantime, a seasonal adaptation of my basic scone recipe.

Gingerbread scones
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unbleached wheat or whole wheat flour
½ cup oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 T maple sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon,
2 teaspoons ground Ginger
1/8 teaspoons ground Clove
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits (or grated frozen butter. Make sure the grater is also frozen)

1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Mix dry ingredients; add butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse meal. (I used frozen, grated butter this morning). Mix the wet ingredients and beat lightly with a fork. Using the fork, stir sour cream mixture into dry mixture until dough forms. Dough will be smooth and maleable. Roll out to 11" diameter, about 1" thick and cut into 8 wedges, or use a large ice-cream scoop to make 20 smaller scones. Lay on baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter for best yummies.



Oh yeah. I made an apple pie, too. (First pie I ever made in my life, if you don't count quiche.)

No comments:

Post a Comment